Wednesday, March 9, 2011

First Class!

About 10 and a half hours ago I had my first class!  The promise of small class sizes really held true... the largest class I'll have this month is a class of three.  It was just an introduction so it wasn't anything intense.  Though I found that I should have included another activity... only have two people meant I burned through the three I had planned pretty fast.  I also met one of the classes I'll be taking over next week, a writing class.

I've noticed that because my technical knowledge of English isn't particularly outstanding there's more than a few occasions where I know there's an error but can't seem to express why... I'm told they understand because it's true for them and Korean.

Speaking of Korean, I've had my first introduction to Hangul and it seems pretty easy once I get the sounds down.  My first attempt to pronounce a Korean word (tree, I think the romanization is something like namoo) ended up being dead on.

Sorry for the lack of pictures... been pretty busy.  Last night I came home at around 10:30pm and tonight it was around 9:20pm so right now my days are pretty long.  Hopefully tomorrow I will have some more pictures... my schedule includes a tour of the area the school is located.  It's just off a business/financial district among a bunch of bars and restaurants... next door to a place called the Jelly Hotel... they call it a love hotel and I don't think that's entirely a joke.

Anyway... I'm kinda tired... I need to stay up to finish dealing with my laundry but I don't feel like typing anymore.  Later.

P.S. Canadians are surprisingly normal.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jared,
    Sounds like you got off to a very fast start! I haven't been on Facebook much, so how long are you going to be staying in Seoul? It's probably good that you have a small class to begin with - gives you more room to stick your foot in your mouth and take it back out again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My current contract is for a year and there's the chance I'll attempt to extend it for another.

    Looking at the roster the largest classes have about six students so it's not like the "large" ones are anything like the 200-300 person SOCI101 classes or even the 15-20 person classes you teach.

    ReplyDelete