Tuesday, March 15, 2011

About the pictures and some random things I haven't mentioned.

So yeah there's been a distinct lack of pictures.  Sorry about that.  I'll try to carry my camera around a bit more than I have and hopefully I'll be posting some pictures of the neighborhood I live in, the one I work in, and the apartment... maybe the office.  Last weekend I had the opportunity to make use of it on my bike ride but I didn't have it on me... thought I was just going to see a movie with the roomie.

Anyway... earlier today I asked one of my classes why Koreans might think I look younger than I am... apparently a contributing factor is the length of my hair.  Korean students (primary and secondary) will have short hair like mine.  Most young adult Korean males have longer hair than me... Bieber length-ish... I think I'll start a new unit of hair measurement... the Bieber.  Maybe I should grow my hair out some?  If I do... that will be such a huge break from tradition.  Now I'm imagining my Dad shouting "Tradition!" in an allusion to Fiddler on the Roof....  But yeah... I don't remember the last time I wore my hair longer than a couple inches unless I was just putting off a haircut.  This will require some thought.

I'm also a few days into my plan to totally corrupt the Korean language.  I'm in the habit of saying "천만에요" (chun man e yo, you're welcome) in response to my Korean coworkers saying anything in Korean I don't understand... which is everything.  This of course leads to many bizarre conversations.  Maybe you should try to respond to comments with "you're welcome" and see what kind of response you receive.

Speaking of corruption... I introduced my roommate to Justin Bieber tonight.

This weekend I believe there's a plan for a bunch of us to get together and go to a free preseason baseball game.  No idea who is playing but it sounds like a lot of teams incorporate sponsors into their names (SK Wyverns, Samsung Lions, Kia Tigers, etc.).  Maybe I can be a hipster and complain about them selling out?

I need to wake up early so later.

5 comments:

  1. Please don't grow out your hair. I really don't think a Beiber is a good idea at all. I mean, he cut HIS hair recently...it's a sign!

    Also, now I hope I never meet your dad so as not to destroy the metal image of him as Topol...

    And that might be the best method of dealing with foreign relations I've ever heard. We gotta share this man...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I wouldn't go into a full Bieber of hair... maybe at most half a Bieber. Just let it grow out to be a couple inches longer than I normally have it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving your commnentary each time I go on here.. I definitely think you should pull the old Bieber haircut and see if more people treat you with more respect.. you know since your hair is long then it must mean your older! I love it!!! Grow it very long and see how many people start asking you where your wife and kids are... then use "your welcome".. then it would just be hilarious!!!

    Jared you are having way too much fun over there!! Bieber the place!!!! :) Start a Bieber trend there!

    How was the baseball game? Any soccer there? (If there is soccer.. you better bring camera and click away.. please?! ) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The baseball game isn't until this weekend. And no I won't start a Bieber trend.

    Soccer is hugely popular here though I don't know if they're playing pro games right now. There's a couple channels that show old soccer games... mostly of European clubs with Korean players (Manchester Utd. and Park Ji Sung for instance). I've been told that this Korean TV station will even acquire the rights to broadcast a team's games when they acquire a Korean player.

    And no I won't grow it "very long"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I am very glad that soccer is very popular there! Wow you are right, I didn't realize it but Park plays for ManU. I didn't know he was from S. Korea, I just looked him up on Wiki..

    "Park Ji-Sung (Hangul: 박지성; Hanja: 朴智星; Korean pronunciation: [pak̚t͈ɕisʌŋ]; born 25 February 1981) is a South Korean footballer who currently plays as a midfielder for Manchester United , and was the captain of the South Korean national team. He is known for his energetic and dedicated playing, as the Korean media describes him as a men with two hearts. He is the most decorated footballer in Asian history, as the only South Korean player to have won the UEFA Champions League and the first Asian to have played in a final of the tournament.[4]"

    That is a huge and great achievement because he is the best out of the whole entire Asia region!!! That is a huge deal! If you ever get a chance to see him play or get any cool memorabilia... you should go for it!!!! Heck get me a shirt if you can and if it is cheap!!

    ReplyDelete